This beautiful chalet was the first of five chalets built for Emperor Napoléon III and his following in 1863.
Named « Clermont-Tonnerre », the chalet was built for the Comte Aynard de Clermont-Tonnerre (1827-1884), officer of His Majesty’s Order.
It was erected at the same time as the neighbouring chalet « Villa Marie-Louise » home of Emperor Napoléon III.
During the following years a further three chalets were built in the « Boulevard Napoléon » (today the Boulevard des Etats-Unis).
The most famous guest of the chalet was King Léopold (1790-1865), the first king of Belgium who visited during the summer of 1865 to meet Napoléon III.
In 1905 a gothic-inspired building was added to the property
This remarkable chalet has been in the possession of only three owners in its 150 years of existence – undoubtedly authentic as evidenced by the excellent level of conservation of the floors and ceilings.
After hiking through the Volcanos of Auvergne, Marion and Edouard made the life-changing decision to visit the spa town of Vichy where they were totally seduced by it’s famous life-giving waters and by its green surroundings.
Whilst visiting the various areas of the queen of spa towns, they discovered on the banks of the Allier river this beautiful Chalet abandoned since numerous years.
It was love at first sight and the couple decided to pour their love of heritage buildings into renovating the Chalet Impérial to it’s former splendour.
After more than a year’s work, in April 2019 Marion and Edouard finally opened the doors of this venue renovated with love and together want to write a new page in the life of the Chalet Impérial. .