Thonon’s 19th Century hillside railway, Constructed in 1888, ‘Le Funiculaire’ was moved by a counter-weighting system using 11 tons of water. Today, it still links the port to the town centre, but since 1990, it has been powered by electricity.
Port de Rives - Belvédère
Telephone: 04 50 71 21 54
All year round. Closed exceptionally on January 1st and December 25th.
The cable car Rives-Thonon (in Thonon-les-Bains), the second cable car built in France, was founded on April 2, 1888. Conceived by the engineer Auguste Alesmonières, it is the only cable car in the world where the two cars pass each other in a turn. The total length is 230 meters, 86.8 meters of turning. Before, eleven tons of water were used to run the cable car, and it was not until 1990 that the cable car started running automatically.
Unguided group tours
Unguided individual tours
No information available